To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The X Factor

My employer has made its stance clear: I will return to work next Tuesday and work Christmas week (although I had arranged for a week's leave back in June, to see my new grandbaby--or lose my job. They feel that have accomodated me by allowing me to work 3 hours a day instead of 6. And, of course, that I can return to the same job.

Their position has caused me to consider my options. Jaran (my son) is encouraging me to "retire and write full time"--in Oklahoma, where the cost of living is easily a quarter lower than in Denver.

For those of you at Echostar, no, I'm not ready to turn in my resignation. LOL.

Five years ago, Mom took a huge leap of faith and moved from Maine to Colorado. I hate to ask her to uproot again to move elsewhere. At the time, we decided we wanted to be close, geographically, as she aged and her infirmities increased.

Then there was the x factor. I love Colorado. But an even greater consideration made me stay. Yes, you've got it. Jolene.

I mentioned that to Mom last night, and she said, "You didn't have to remind me."

Five years ago, Jolene was barely 19 and struggling to make it on her own. At least she was plugged in to all the services Colorado had to offer. I wondered what decision I would make as I aged; stay with Jolene, who would always be the needy one; or move closer to Jaran, who could help me.

Now Jolene is no longer a factor in my decisions.

How I wish that weren't so.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Sounds like you have some hard decisions to make - that will take much prayer. I will pray that you have clear direction in all these things.
Blessings.