To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Monday, June 14, 2010

PUTTING DOWN ROOTS



I have been in my new house for 2 weeks now. Hurray! Things are slowly coming together.

With the house, I decided to celebrate Oklahoma. I have chosen to live here, and I want things to remind me to enjoy all that Oklahoma has to offer.

That's why I've included the art work today. When it came to ordering address labels and business cards, I looked for things that made me think Oklahoma.

Pictured Left Above: "Bison at Sunrise," an address
label availble through Colorful Images.(No, I don't know
Paige, I'm sure she's an imaginary person. It came with
the advertising.) Buffaloes make me think of the days
when herds of thousands roamed Amerca's plains, and
Oklahoma was the last place in this country with open
plains. One of my favorite places in Oklahoma is the
Woolaroc Museum & Wildlife Preserve; the name is
derived from "woods, lands, rocks." Bison range free
in the preserve. We took Mom there pre-Jolene, so
Jaran would have been younger than four. We still
have a toy buffalo he purchased on that trip. This
label reminds not only of Oklahoma's heritage, but
happy memories from my own past.
Pictured Right Above: This image is available from
Vista Print. Oklahoma is also Tornado Alley Central;
this year we've already had two major tornados.
My new house comes complete with a storm shelter,
and Jaran's housewarming gift was a weather channel
radio. I tell him I survived tornado alerts before
he was born! There is something majestic about
nature's wrath crashing overhead. We had a
knock-down drag-out fight outdoors this morning.
Unusual because storms usually arrive in the early
evening. Now that I have taken steps to celebrate
Oklahoma, I may turn my study in my Colorado
mountain retreat ...
A reminder: Leave comments on any or all blogs this month for an opportunity to win one of my books (see sidebar for details). Already I know I'll be giving away two books! Also in the hopper this month are The Gunsmith's Gallantry by Susan Page Davis and A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer.
A final note of rejoicing for another book contract, Plainsong, the sequel to Romanian Rhapsody, my first ever book.

5 comments:

Carla Gade said...

I'm glad you are embracing the images and life in Oklahoma! You never know what books will spark in that setting. Congratulations on the new contract. That's such a wonderful thing to get to sequel your first novel!

Darlene Franklin said...

Oklahoma has a fascinating history ... I'll see what comes up. But westerns aren't really my forte (just ask Susan about me and horses. Or stagecoaches. Or guns. Or anything!)

Of course, I already got to write my cozy mystery set in Oklahoma. It was a blast!

Barb said...

Yes, there is truly something amazing about embracing images and history of one's surroundings. I am currently experiencing similar feelings about my native state of Colorado! Altho I love NM, I'm wanting more and more to return home to absorb the history, beauty, and life of colorful Colorado.

Kameko said...

Sounds like Sunday was a wonderful family day for you. I love the two pictures you posted - they are the essence of Oklahoma. I learned something from you, I didn't know Woolaroc had it's name from wood, land, & rock! I'm eager for your next book since I enjoyed "Gunfight at Grace Gulch" so much.

Blessings to you!

Beverly

Darlene Franklin said...

I'm glad you agree with me about the pictures! Barb, you know how I love Colorado, but these images are an attempt to put down my roots here. I'll have to figure out what I like about Oklahoma summers ...